10.15.2010

Only one life

It’s funny how most days start exactly the same. But so much can happen in just one day. Your life can completely change in one day. In one hour. In 10 minutes. It can. And mine did. It was just supposed to be a boat ride home. Yeah, it was going to take 5 hours, but after those hours I would be able to sleep in my bed. We would be back at home at the base. I would get to see my chicos again. I would get to cook in our cockroach infested kitchen. I would get to take a shower. After 4 days of traveling on the river with only one “bath” there was nothing I wanted to do more than take off my dirty, stinky clothes and take a shower. Stephanie, Rachel, and I were in the front of the boat. Rachel was sleeping at the stern, and Stephanie and I were on the first bench. We talked for a little bit, read for a while, and then I decided to take a nap. As I was falling asleep to the hum of the boat,  I heard a bang on the opposite side of the boat. I whipped my head around and there was a double-barreled shotgun pointing at me. There were 3 or 4 men with masks and paint on their faces. Shouting in Spanish. “Por la playa! Por la playa!” the leader ordered our boat driver. As we pulled up and stopped at the beach, the guns still pointed at us, they began to go through all of our stuff. One by one, I saw my things being taken out of my bag. I saw him take my camera with all of the pictures from our river clinics. I saw him take my wallet. Time didn’t feel like it was moving. I could hear my heart pounding in my ears. Then he came for our pockets. He went through each of our pockets. He looked right at me and asked me where my cell phone was. “No tengo nada! No tengo nada!” It was all I could spit out. I don’t think I have ever had so many thoughts flying through my head at the same time. It felt like they were all bouncing off of each other, going a million miles an hour. I was thinking about my family. I was thinking about each of my friends that I love. I was thinking about my future. What would happen to me if he pulled the trigger? The funny thing was that even though all of these things were going through my head, I felt strangely at peace with it all. If my life were to have ended, I had faith that my life was in God’s hands.
But back to the story. The robbers kept going through our stuff. They threw stuff out of bags – searching for anything of value. I guess they ran out of time or something because they didn’t search Rachel’s, Stephanie’s, and my bags. They just threw the whole thing on their little boat. The whole thing lasted probably only 10 minutes. There are a lot more details I could add, there are a lot more things I could say, but I don’t really see the point. My point is not to tell a sob story to make people feel bad for me. My point is not to tell you an adventure story. I guess you could call it an adventure, but it was terrible. And I would never wish the same thing on anyone that I know. My point is to inform you of the value of your own life. Look around you. Look at the people who you surround yourself with. Look at the kind of life you are living. Right before the assault happened, I had just started a book called Don’t Waste Your Life by John Piper. Even though I only read the first few chapters of the book, I really liked it. In his book he quotes a small poem.
Only on life,
‘Twill soon be past;
Only what’s done
For Christ will last.
That little sentence hit me hard. Especially right after the assault happened. At the end of this journey that we’re all on, all we have to show is what we’ve done for the cause of Christ. Everything else is in vain, really.
My parents called me right when we got back to the base late that night. As I was talking to them, crying just at the sound of their voices, just wishing that I could be home just for a moment, just to give them a hug, my dad told me something. He told me that he wasn’t worried. He told me that he prays for me every morning and every night. And he knows that God is going to take care of me. He told me, “Hanna, if anything, this experience is going to build your character.” Fathers always give the best advice. My earthly father and my Heavenly one, too.
Cherish your life. Life it to the fullest. You only get one, so be immensely thankful for it with every ounce of LIFE that God has given you. 

10 comments:

  1. Wow Hanna! Praise God...those two words have never sounded more appropriate to me than right at this moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. This is crazy. Fully crazy. What a terrible adventure. You are ALIVE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad that you all are okay. Praise God.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dang girl! Thank you for sharing and for your point of view on the whole thing. This is definitely inspiring, and I'm also glad you're ok. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesomeness! Thanks for sharing Hanna! God has definitely got your back. Keep on living for Christ!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I left John piper's book behind! So glad you're reading it! I was so shocked to hear about your ambush. I didn't think that stuff happened anymore. You know how a similar event happened in 2000 or something with one of the founders of touch of love, right? You guys are making history. Well, keep writing! It means so much to hear your stories and connect us to what's happening. I swore I wouldn't get disconnected once I got back, but life now is so different and removed from all that goes on at Km 38. Anyhow, what you're doing matters deeply. Satan's clearly getting offended.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hanna, what a life changing experience. I am sure that now more than ever you feel God's hand on your shoulder keeping you close.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Somewhere in there you said something about not trying to tell an adventure story. Well, you inadvertently told a good one. Sorry about your stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Being at peace, knowing that God well always be with you when at peace and when doing His work. Your team are awesome people.

    ReplyDelete