8.31.2010

Details

Motocars, taxis, buses, and trucks flying every direction. Honking. Swerving. The doctor was driving over 100 mph. I was a little scared. This is Peru. I am here for real. Traveling was a huge blur. And then I crashed under my mosquito net atop my wiggly bunk bed and woke up two hours later to roosters crowing. Who cares that I didn't sleep at all last night? I'm here and there is lots of learning and exploring to do. Km 38 is a beautiful place. There are lemons the size of my face, a lovely outhouse, cold showers, and warm people. 
The rest of my first day in Peru consisted of venturing into Campo Verde, cramming 7 people in a motocar, playing Uno, deciphering Genesis 1 in a Spanish bible, eating a fabulous lunch prepared by the doctor and his wife, and lots more. First, let me tell you about this food. Arroz con frijoles (the staple food). Ensalade de pipinos (cucumber salad) with a lemon dressing. And a big bubbling pot of chicken. I wasn't brave enough to try the chicken just yet, but I'm sure it was good. It smelled good. It was a real fiesta. The doctor gave an introduction of the various projects that we would be working on throughout the year and I am very pleased to announce that I understood everything that he said. Now I just have to learn to speak. My mind always draws a blank. I guess that will all come in good time. After eating, the doctor and other Peruvian workers decided that it would be a good idea to go the the lagoon for a swim and some futbol. So all 15 of us got into Doctor's tiny pickup. It was a painful ride to say the least. But well worth it.
There was a sort of peace down at the lake. The sun was about to set, the water was warm, the mud in the water was extremely squishy, it was serene. There were cows and chickens and dogs and kids running around. We were trying to catch little fish with plastic cups. We played volleyball, futbol, and some Peruvian game called "Murderer" that was kind of like dodgeball. 
I then got my first taste of what my showers are going to be like for the rest of the year - cold. And good. So good. The hot, sticky air mixed with a cold shower is pure bliss. There was a little frog hopping around by my feet while I was bathing.
Details. I know it's a lot of details. But it is these things - the smells, sounds, tastes, sights - these things that I don't want to forget. 
Necisito practicar mi espanol.
Badly.

3 comments:

  1. YEAH! you're there. the details are good. soak them up and let the world know via the blogosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mi querida sobrina! by the time you come home you'll be chatting with your abuelita in spanish about your trip :) Your spanish will come, just give it tiempo..

    I'm enjoying all the details and your expressions that you're describing

    I can't wait to see what is next..

    ReplyDelete
  3. The details are great. yes, I can relate to hot days and cold showers feeling blessfully great, refreshing to hear nature singing a tune by Mr Frog. In HI, when I was in my 30s I would swim, hike all day then shower on the beach. No I would not be naked, but I would use soap. The roasters in HI were very colorful, bright reds, yellows, orange feathers. So beautiful I'd take photos. Keep up the blog, can't wait to see what is next. Love the photos too. Thanks Marie in Alaska: ps posted photo of Moose cow and calf in yard.

    ReplyDelete