3.27.2010

Heaven knows

I must start off by saying that I'm thankful for the Sabbath. I need rest. I'm also thankful that I'm not God. Yes, I know, Captain Obvious statement. But really. How often do I take matters into my own hands, thinking that I have a perfect handle on the situation? How often do I make decisions about important issues in my life on my own without consulting the One with the Master Plan? How often do I play God, trying to shape my life into something great? If I kept trying to play God, who knows what kind of hell I would create.
Next year I'm going to be a student missionary. God has just been so awesome - opening the right doors, closing the wrong ones, and giving me this incredible sense of peace throughout the whole deciding process. I feel called to go to Turkey. When I tell people that, many ask me what on earth made me decide to go there. The answer is simple. It wasn't me who decided. Because I know that on my own, it would've never crossed my mind to go there. But God knows where He wants me to go. And, at least what I believe, created a call that was perfect for me. Hanna Melara. My job description would be to home school two little kids ages 5 and 8, which is so cool because I love kids! But God just knew so much more. He not only wanted a home school teacher, but also a graphic designer! When I read call o
nline I almost thought my eyes were deceiving me. I had to read it a few more times just to make sure. I just can't get over how much I truly believe that God knows exactly where He wants each one of us. He says, If you're a carpenter, you can build me a church. An artist, I've got a job for you. You have a gift for hospitality? Great! I can use all of those things. That's why He gave us all different talents. Because He needs to use us all. We all have a purpose. A special calling.
I struggled with that a lot last year. What was my calling? What was I supposed to do for God? I believe that He gave me a passion for art. But I wrestled a
nd fought with that so much. I knew that I wanted to serve God with my whole life. But I didn't know how I could do that with art. I asked myself over and over, Am I being selfish for pursuing something that I love? How can I help people and introduce them to Him through something that I create? I thought so many times of switching my major. Nursing. Teaching. Those are the careers that actually help people. Not art. But after much prayer and talking with people I trusted, I decided that I can indeed use art and design to serve God. Why else would he have put that love for it in my soul?
Here's what it boils down to for me: God is the Master Artist. Just look outside. Look under the sea
. To the sky. Look at the trees. Flowers. Animals. And the crowning glory of all of His creation - us. There is NOWHERE you can turn your head in nature without seeing something beautiful. I want to learn from the best artist out there. And last time I checked, no one's got God beat.

God and other artists are always a little obscure. - Oscar Wilde

1 comment:

  1. beautiful. you are so insightful, i love the way you write. im glad you found your purpose. im still looking for mine.

    ReplyDelete