4.06.2010

The Kill Hill

There is this road. Sunkist Boulevard. Excuse my language, but this hill is a bitch. I have appropriately named it Kill Hill. A new-found like (I'm not quite at love, yet) of road running and perhaps more so a desperation for Personal Fitness for Life puntos led me to this place. I had walked up this Boulevard a few times, so why not try running? Let me tell you, friend, if walking up a hill gets your ticker going hard, running will make you feel like you are going to die. First attempt: not pretty. I had to stop and walk about a third of the way up. I thought my heart was about to leap out of my throat. I was sweaty - it was gross. Side note: I think I'm stronger than I actually am. When it hit me that I thought I could do something, but clearly couldn't I got frustrated. This hill will have to be conquered another day. So when the time came (the next day) for me to go back, I did so with my head held high. And my butt cheeks in severe pain. Running with a friend always helps. I like running with someone who is at or above my level so I can push myself. Since my second attempt at Kill Hill was during class, I took my friend Jordan The with me to check it out. I made it up farther this time, but still had to walk. But that was because we were doing I.T. Training. It was funny though, my heart rate would shoot up even when I was just walking up that dang hill. I did it though. Three times. Running down steep hills is so fun because you can just let everything go and look like a complete fool. Clomping down like a stampede of beasts. Anyways, yesterday Tiffy and I gave ol' Kill Hill another go. We made a goal to run all the way to the top without stopping. And we did it! After a couple tries. I don't know if you would exactly call it running, though. More like huffing and puffing and tippy-toeing like 90 year-olds. But it felt so good. To see the finish, reach it and just laugh it off at the top.

Dear Kill Hill,

I'm not finished with you just yet. This is only the beginning of our relationship, seeing as you are a quality place to pound out frustration. I'll be back soon. And I will conquer - without so much huffing and puffing this time.

- Hanna

2 comments:

  1. i hate running. good for you. i'd rather ride my bike. and more than running or cycling, i'd rather eat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. eating is a blessing. does it make me a total fattie if i say that i live to eat, and not eat to live? because most of the time, that's how i feel. exercise is alright, i guess. but secondary to eating.

    ReplyDelete