4.16.2010

Yodel-odel-odeling

In 5th grade, I was in love. His name was Aaron Townsley. He had blond hair, blue eyes and was skinny as a beanstalk. I just knew it was meant to be. He asked me to be his girlfriend through a note left in my desk. It was carefully colored with red, blue, and green crayons. I remember his handwriting was very small and slanted. "Will you be my girlfriend? Circle yes or no." I circled yes. We probably talked a grand total of three times because we were both too chicken. I think I shared some food with him once and stood behind him in line. I remember feeling nervous when I was around him, so I pretty much avoided him. By today's standards, I was probably what you would call the worst girlfriend ever. I was too concerned with practicing my free-throws so I could beat all the boys at Bump-Out, making Indian villages out of sticks, playing football, and just running around like a hooligan. I remember after a couple weeks he tried to give me a stuffed Easter bunny for some holiday. Probably Easter. I thought it was ugly so I gave it back and broke up with him. Looking back, I probably could have had a little more tact.
I'm definitely no expert on love or relationships. But I'd like to think I know a lot more than I did back then. I know what I want. I know what I don't want. I've been in love. I've had my heart broken. I've laughed. I've cried. I've cared. I've been selfish. I've made mistakes and grown. I'm just so glad for second chances. If we only had one shot at relationships, we'd all still be with our elementary school crushes. Thank God that's not the case.
I believe that God leads different people into our lives at different times for specific purposes. We can each touch anothers life in ways completely unique than another person can. A lot of learning is done through relationships. Both the ones that work out and the ones that don't. I wouldn't trade my past relationships in for anything - even though I've made mistakes, even though now I realize I could've done better. I can rejoice even in the break-ups. Yes, rejoice. Easier said than done. I serve a very awesome and very patient God. He's revealed to me the reasons for my relationships and the lessons He wanted me to learn.
One of my devotional books contains this list. It's so beautiful. The second I read it I had to underline it and just keep rereading it. On tough days I come back to it and I feel instantly better. This is true happiness.

1. Make your moments really count and be profusely and profoundly grateful for every one of them.
2. Give away to others - with reckless abandon - all the love and affirmation you possibly can.
3. De-invest in this short life - build your portfolio for the next one.


2 comments:

  1. Such wisdom coming out your brain! And unfortunately [or fortunately?] quite timely for me. You is saying things I needed to hear. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. do you sit at the computer and write. or is this written in a jurnal, erased and editted and then posted online?

    ReplyDelete