4.07.2010

Things I have learned

These last few weeks have been especially trying ones. I'm not going to go into detail, you can just trust me. They've been rough. I've realized a number of things about myself through it all. For a girl, I'm not very good at dealing with my emotions. Also, I take a while to process my thoughts. And I tend to keep my mouth shut in situations where I should probably be saying something. I just freeze. My mind is screaming and racing at lightning speed with all these comments and questions, but the synapses connecting my brain to my mouth, my thoughts to my tongue, well, they just become invisible. I hate it when I've just had a really intense conversation with someone and only after it's done do I think of all the things I really wanted to say. All the things I could've said. Coulda. Woulda. Shoulda. What can you do? All I know is right now, at this very moment, I am at rest. My soul is quiet. And I feel like I have finally let it all go. Now I can hear the Voice that really matters. And I will follow that Voice to the ends of the earth.
Our Typography II class (taught by none other than the great and acclaimed graphic designer, Ed Guthro), took a field trip today. I haven't been on a field trip in a long time. Memories came flooding back of fifth grade visiting the Arizona Science Center with my colorblind teacher. Good times. Anyways, Ed wanted to personally take us to the library and show us all of the awesome resources we have available to us as designers. It's like a little slice of inspiration heaven. All those Publication Design Annuals, magazines, Illustrator Annuals, and kooky designers make me giddy. I could spend hours up there flipping through all of the pretty pictures and daydreaming of maybe one day appearing in one of those books. I was immediately drawn to a book called Things I Have Learned by Stefan Sagmeister. Check him out. He's amazing. I can't even describe this book to you. At least not with words. We'd have to be talking in person so I could use my hands and arms with excitement. In this book he takes his list of all the things he has learned in his life and makes them into tangible, wacky art. I found his list very interesting. And I'm attempting at making my own, although I don't have the brain power to do it right now.
This is Stefan:

1. Complaining is silly. Either act or forget.
2. Thinking life will be better in the future is stupid, I have to live now.
3. Being not truthful works against me.
4. Helping other people helps me.
5. Organizing a charity group is surprisingly easy.
6. Everything I do always comes back to me.
7. Drugs feel great in the beginning and become a drag later on.
8. Over time I get used to everything and start taking it for granted.
9. Money does not make me happy.
10. Traveling alone is helpful for a new perspective on life.
11. Assuming is stifling.
12. Keeping a diary supports my personal development.
13. Trying to look good limits my life.
14. Worrying solves nothing.
15. Material luxuries are best enjoyed in small doeses.
16. Having guts always works out for me.

In my opinion, this guy has got a pretty cool head on his shoulders. Except for maybe number 7. I've personally chosen not to dabble in drugs.


3 comments:

  1. I found where you snagged that list off the sagmeister website. very good stuff. you have a very good brain. i wish i had known how very good sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. why thank you, nick! hahha, i always thought it was a shame that we never hung out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG!!!!!!!! me too and then you feel like you want to talk to the person again now that you know what you have to say, then the time comes and lo-and-behold the words escape you again. grrrrrr....
    well im still waiting on the small still voice, im sure its there but i have to be ready to hear it.
    so i definitely want to check this guy out.

    ReplyDelete